Sunday, March 14, 2010

Museums: Cuz I'm an Artsy Fartsy Badass.

SO. Madrid has 3 main art museums: Museo del Prado (the biggest), Museo de la Reina Sofia, and Museo Thyssen. Museo Thyssen is a privately held museum so, unlike the other two, they do not have free hours (in fact it was a lot of $ for entrance! 7.50 Euros for a student for both the permanent collection and the Monet Exhibit.)

Museo del Prado: as the most well known museum, it has a lot of huge works and incredible Goya and El Greco collections. Goya's "The 3rd of May of 1808" depicts the Spanish resistance to Napoleon's armies (it's probably the most well known painting in the Museum).


Museo de la Reina Sofia: Lots of cool works, quite a few Dalis, etc. Here is the Guernica by Pablo Picasso. It depicts the bombings of Guernica without actually showing the bombings; rather, the violence is represented as if it is a bullfight. The painting is HUGE, taking up an entire room.


Museo Thyssen: Based on beauty of the museum itself, this one was probably my favorite. I was almost heartbroken to realize the painting I was most excited to see was on loan to Dali's exhibit in Girona. I'll include the pic below, even though I didn't get to see it myself :(
Salvador Dali's "Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening" is beautiful, with a contrast of feminine and masculine symbols that I think is absolutely stellar. Hence why the painting is my second favorite painting. ever.


But the painting wasn't there. Here's one that I did see, that blew my mind.
Filonov and Glebova's "Prison".

No comments:

Post a Comment