Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lisboa. Obrigada. Adeus.

Obrigada = Thank you. If you are a girl (or talking to a girl?) Otherwise it's Obrigado. Never before have I spoken a language where the word for "thanks" changes based on gender.
Adeus = Bye. Kind of like Adios in Spanish, but Portuguese is spoken with a "sh" sound.

When I asked people if they spoke English, French or Spanish (I think that's enough options? If you are in the hospitality business in Portugal I don't think it's absolutely ridiculous for you to know at least one of these three languages), they (the people) would always choose English (or insist on speaking Portuguese, which essentially meant I spoke Spanish with a lisp). I thought that interesting.

Lisbon has a lot of transport. Weird, I know. Trams, trains, buses everywhere. Which is appropriate because it's all hills. Like San Francisco hills on speed.

The drink I am holding = masked strawberries and vodka. Like 6 shots of it. And it tastes like fresh strawberry. I am bringing this ingenious discovery back to the States.
Belem is apparently THE place to go, though it's mostly museums. I will admit that the Pasteis de Belem (pronounced "Pash-taysh") were delicious. It's like a cream tart. Or heaven.

On Saturday the girls wanted to go shopping. Being broke, adventurous and slightly idiotic, I decided to take a ferry (Solo) to the island across the river. Please note it was one of the windiest days of the year and half the ferries were not operating because it was too dangerous. Parking lots were flooded. Still.
This is the Christi Rei statue. It's pretty much a copy of the one in Brazil (same idea, where the Church wanted to have more of a constant Jesus reminder near the city), but Portugal had a huge earthquake on All Saint's Day in the 80's and essentially much of the Catholic faith (or Christian for that matter) went out the window. Mostly it's tourists who come here, though it is a sanctuary saying all hearts are welcome.

Lisbon = amazing. And seeing BFFs in Lisbon is even better ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment