Monday, February 1, 2010

Museos

So the last couple hours every day are free to explore the Prado and the Thyssen and the Reina Sofia Museums in Madrid (all around relatively the same area). Unfortunately my lazy butt hadn't been in any of these until friends came and visited from Barcelona and wanted to check them out.

The Reina Sofia has a lot of different types of art expanding across the centuries, so while it's all very interesting it can cause for quick sensory overload.

The Prado, of the two, is the one that I prefer. Lots of Catholic paintings (but hey, it's Spain, so what do you expect?) but it was amazing to see "live" some of the paintings I'm already familiar with. For example, the Prado has a LOT of El Greco and a LOT of Goya.

Here are two paintings I got to see LIVE. ;)
The Third of May- this is something I studied for a week back when I was studying art history in Nantes (as part of the Literature HS curriculum, don't want to sound like an expert or anything...) but the central figure is in white to focus your eye there and to display his innocence, and you can't see the shooters so they are harder to relate to...



I really don't know anything about this painting, save that it's Saturn (called "Saturn") and it depicts him eating one of his children. Essentially it's really gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment