Thursday, April 22, 2010

Yeah, that's not what we like to call "PC"...

I don't even know if this is enough for an entire blog entry, but I just thought I would comment.

There are stores around here which have gas-station like food (kind of like 7-11), cheap-o clothing or cheap-o shoes, and they are run primarily by Asian people. So when you want to go to a store like this, Spanish people say, "Necesito ir al chino." (I need to go to the Chinese person's.)
Regardless of whether the person is Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.

Then there are an extraordinarily large amount of black people who will sell pirated DVDs or purse/ sunglass knock-offs in the Metro stations, etc. They are called "morenos" (browns) or "negros" (blacks) and I've heard some elderly people (one in particular, in Valencia) be extremely racist towards some younger black guys.

The "immigrant part" of Madrid is the area near Lavapies, which is kind of sketchy (every time I go there my host mom warns me) but is the only place with good Indian food so there you go. For those thinking about going to Madrid I definitely recommend checking it out, but more so if you are living in Madrid for an extended period of time... It has a lot of ethnic food hard to find anywhere else in the city.

On a sad note, there is no bubble tea. I have spent a ton of time wandering around Lavapies (not at night though, I'm not that dumb) and Nuevos Ministerios, looking for Bubble tea. While there is nothing on Google Maps if you type in "Bubble tea" or "boba" or "pearl tea", I found a blog written by a Taiwanese girl giving a bubble tea location... when I went there (and it took me over an hour to get there) it turns out the Chinese supermarket closed a couple years ago. Sadness!

But I will be going to London next weekend to visit my bestie from HS, and I KNOW they have Bubble tea there; my bestie has already scouted locations!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment