Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dali Museum in Figueres

So, as mentioned in multiple other blogs, my second favorite painting of all time (after Fragonard's "Le Verrou") is Dali's "Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening". Usually it is on display in my current hometown (Madrid) at the Thyssen Museum, but it is currently on loan to the Dali Museum (he designed the museum himself out of an old theater; it's the largest surrealist object/ building in the world?).

A normal person would probably wait for the painting to come back to Madrid in early May then pay the 5.50 Euro entrance again. Instead, on my second trip to Barcelona, I grabbed my good friend Naomi, hopped on the train (23 Euros round trip! and they didn't even check the ticket coming back! Rip-off....) to Figueres (about 90 minutes outside Barcelona) and go see the only thing that Figueres has to offer in terms of tourist destination: the Dali Museum.

To summarize, if you like Dali's work (which I do, that man was genius.)(also, insane.) then it is definitely worth the trip. We lucked out with the weather (the walk would have been miserable in the rain) and the Dali museum is a pretty cool destination (if still pretty crowded). I won't bore you with the details of all the museum, but here is the link to the Dali Museum in Figueres.

The two things I will post:

My second fave painting of all time. It was just so cool to be standing in front of it! :)

















Here is a 3D art piece (if you can tell?). I am taking this picture from behind a lens that puts it all together, but really its a sofa-like pair of lips (about my size), a 3D nose, 2 pictures of city landscapes and a really weird surrounding wig?

No comments:

Post a Comment